Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 2011 12:49:59 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Revision control advice

On 12/22/11 11:37, Chris Hill wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I apologize for this posting being not-much-on-topic, but my other
> resources have come to naught and I think you folks may have some
> experience in this area.
>
> I'm looking to set up some sort of revision control system at work.
> Simple enough, except that our situation is approximately the reverse
> of what most revision control systems are designed for.
>
> Unlike, e.g., FreeBSD kernel development, we have dozens or hundreds
> of small, rapid-fire projects that are created at the rate of 3 to 20
> per month. They last a few days or a few months and are (usually) not
> developed afterward. Each project has one to three developers working
> on it, sometimes simultaneously. Usually it's one guy per project.
>
> Since my programmers are not necessarily UNIX-savvy, I'd like to
> deploy a web interface for them which will allow them to create new
> repositories (projects) as well as the normal checkin, checkout, etc.
> I want to set this up once, and from there on have the programmers
> deal with managing their own repos. And heaven forfend exposing them
> to the horrors of the shell.
>
> I've built a test server (9.0-RC3, amd64) for experimenting with this
> stuff. So far I've installed and played with:
>  - fossil. I like the simplicity and light weight, but it doesn't seem
> to allow creation of new repos at all (let alone multiple ones) from
> the web interface, and the documentation is meager. I've pretty much
> given up on it.
>  - subversion, which looks like the heavy hitter of RCSs, but it's not
> at all clear to me how to handle the multiple-project scenario. Still
> working on it.
>  - git looks promising, but I have not installed it yet.
>
> If anyone can point me to a tool that might be suitable, I would be
> most grateful.
I'd suggest subversion. It allows individual files to be versioned, you
can setup a webdav interface, and there are other tools that can help
maintain it.

Forget the individual repositories. Setup a single repository and have
directories for each project. in each directory you can then setup
trunk, branches, whatever, as per best practices in the Book.

Designate a person or two to administer, and use directory level auth,
or another alternative I haven't thought of.

My 2c's anyway. HTH