Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 2001 22:11:38 -0700
From:      Dan Lazin <dan.lazin@su.ualberta.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   sendmail is sad: setreuid error with mail.local

I've just moved my server from one box to another, and I upgraded from
3.2-RELEASE to 4.2-RELEASE in the meantime, along with relevant packages.
But sendmail is breaking on me.

First I screwed up my virtusertable.db file, and I was getting this error:
"SYSERR(root): Cannot open hash database /etc/mail/virtusertable.db:
Inappropriate file type or format'". So I rehashed that file and fixed that
problem. In the meantime, my queue had been filling up with messages that
sendmail wasn't delivering because it couldn't read virtusertable. Then I
started getting "sendmail[1391]: f1MFFjk01391: SYSERR(root): savemail: can
not save rejected email anywhere," followed by "sendmail[1413]:
f1MFjjk01413: Losing ./qff1MFjjk01413: savemail panic."

But I wasn't out of diskspace, so I can't figure out why it was dropping
messages. Any thoughts?

Anyway, I moved the queue files to a different directory, and it stopped
breaking in that way. The only error left, and the one I need to fix, is
this: "mail.local: setreuid(0, 1001): Operation not permitted (r=1, e=1)."
That's what sendmail returns to anyone who tries to send me mail. It was
showing up in the messages file for awhile, but not anymore.

Please do help.

Dan Lazin
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada