Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:09:56 +0100
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
To:        Nick Hibma <n_hibma@van-laarhoven.org>
Cc:        Soeren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, "joe@FreeBSD.ORG" <joe@FreeBSD.ORG>, "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: USB->ATA devices

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 08:29:00PM +0200, Nick Hibma wrote:
> > > There are many possible ATA/ATAPI over USB protocols, so turning
> > > the ATA request into one or more USB transfers is a bridge-specific
> > > operation. Basically these odd protocols exist because the manufacturers
> > > of the various bridges have decided to cut corners and not implement
> > > the standard USB mass storage interface.
> > Sounds like a can of worms better left unopened...
> Translating the commands in the umass driver is the best you can do I'm
> afraid.

I've already started going down this road. Although it involves overriding
the standard CAM callback that umass uses so that ATA replies can get
translated into their SCSI equivalents. It's horrid. Having said that, I
don't really want to continue along this road unless absolutely necessary;
I sidestepped the issue in the end by buying alternative hardware. Now that
I have a need to read and write SmartMedia, it gets worse...

BMS