Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 16:26:48 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        brian@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: if_tun.ko seems broken

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:33:07 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>
>> Does this have anything to do with your recent change to if_tun.c?
>
> Nope.  I've reverted rev 1.75 of if_tun.c and the behaviour persists.
> Someone locally insists that the ifconfig line
>
> 	ifconfig tun0 inet 10.0.0.1
>
> should work.  Any ideas?

I think the device needs to be opened before you can do anything with
it.  PPP of course does this for you, but if you want to ifconfig it
yourself you might try something like ``dd if=/dev/tun0 of=/dev/null
count=0'' first.  That makes ifconfig work for me at least, I'm not sure
if it's the "right" way.

--
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
FreeBSD Documentation Project /