Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:00:10 -0400
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        Chris Jackman <cjack@klatsch.org>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help booting Ultra2 from cdrom

Apparently, On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 01:20:13PM -0400,
	Chris Jackman said words to the effect of;

> On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Jake Burkholder wrote:
>

> > You'll have to netboot your machine (with one cpu).  Sorry, I forgot
> > about your other message re problems netbooting.  I've seen that
> > problem before, I think its a timing issue in the loader.  Try creating
> > an empty /etc/fstab file in the nfs root file system on the server, and/or
> > symlinking the kernel to kernel.ko.
>
> I moved to netbooting from an OpenBSD box.  I put it and the sun on a hub
> alone, and now I can 'make it go' every time i reboot the sun.  The boot
> loader gets the proper IP address, and can grab the kernel over tftp.
>
> What's the proper line to give the sun to make it grab the root partition
> over nfs.  Something like 'boot net root=/mnt/export' ?
>
> When i just 'boot net' I see:
>
> boot: ethernet address: 08:00:20:9a:76:f4
> net_open: server addr: 192.168.1.92
> net_open: server path: /mnt/export
> net_open: boot file: /boot/kernel/kernel
>
> /boot/kernel/kernel data=0x2ca608+.....
>
> but I still get a mountroot> prompt.

Sounds like you don't have the nfsroot kernel; it should do a bootp
request, you can't specify it at the mountroot prompt.  There should
be a kernel.nfsroot in the development directly on the ftp site.

> Also, the boot loader is RRQ'ing /boot/loader.rc, and /boot/boot.conf,
> neither of which I have set up anywhere.  Not sure if this is important.
> It's not mentioned on bmah's installation notes page.

It does this by default, just ignore it.

Jake