Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 07:02:23 +0100
From:      roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ld with -R weirdness

According to John Polstra:
> For security reasons, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is ignored for setuid and setgid
> programs.

Except that when I'm testing this, the program is not yet installed and
still belongs to me:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 roberto  staff  51047 Jan  7 01:53 suidperl*

so it should respect LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> If you specify the library name explicitly ("libperl.so.3.19"), it is
> recorded as a direct reference to that particular file, and no searching
> is done.  Directories are searched only if you specify the library
> generically ("-lperl").

It is recorded in a wrong way IMHO

  Shared object dependencies:
      -llibperl.so.3.19  version 0.0
      -lm                version 2.0
      -lc                version 3.0
      -lcrypt            version 2.0

Even if it were recorded as libperl.so.3.19, it should be able to find it
with LD_LIBRARY_PATH no ?

> I should mention one other thing.  If LD(1) is to be believed, there
> should be no space between ld's "-R" option and the
> "record-library-search-path" that follows it.  (Just like the "-L"
> option.)  You probably should remove the "," after "-Wl,-R".

It seems to work the same way with and without the ','.
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
  FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #33: Sat Dec 21 12:57:17 CET 1996