Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 01:31:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Subject:   Re: What is fatal error 9 ?

Doug White wrote...
> On Sun, 21 Apr 1996, Steve wrote:
>

> > My one box has been locking up periodically and today I had several
> > errors on the screen (along with a lockup) - there was fatal error 9, and
> > a general protection fault error.
> >
> > Any insight is appreciated! (mostly as to what an error 9 is)
>
> These are FreeBSD errors?  I didn't know FreeBSD would GPF.  Panic, yes;
> GPF, no.  That is a Windows thing, I thought.
>
> To answer the question:  I don't know what an error 9 is.  If you could
> give some of the context that would be helpful.

My reading of /usr/include/errno.h makes error 9 EBADF - bad file
descriptor.  Something like referring to a file which the program has
already  closed.  Other things are possible - could a full file system cause
this?  As with all other errors, memory corruption can cause this, but
it wouldn't be the first error I would expect.

John
--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key