Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 07:01:31 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramidi@otenet.gr>
To:        Munish Chopra <messiah_man@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mutt/sendmail/SMTP trouble

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 01:08:53PM +0200, Munish Chopra wrote:
> I finally thought I had mutt handing my outgoing mail to sendmail, which
> would hand it over to an SMTP-server. I'm not sure where things are going
> wrong, but whenever I send a mail to a server that does reverse DNS, I get
> the following:

You have to set Sendmail up to masquerade outgoing mail to have
an 'envelope from' address from a domain that *does* resolve properly.

There are many ways to do this.  One of them, that will masquerade ALL
messages sent from your local Sendmail to an outgoing SMTP is to add to your
master-config the macros:

    MASQUERADE_AS(`some.domain')dnl
    FEATURE(`masquerade_entire_domain')dnl
    FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl

Then, after the usual sendmail.cf generate, copy to /etc/mail, and restart of
Sendmail, all the mail going out will be seen as coming from `some.domain'.
A good choise for `some.domain' is the domain of your ISP.

Another quick way of handling this is to set your MUA up to call sendmail with
the -f option, and masquerade all the mail sent from this MUA as coming from
some valid user@domain address.  For instance, I had in my .muttrc for quite
some time the following:

    set sendmail="/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -oi -f keramidi@otenet.gr"

Where `keramidi@otenet.gr' is my normal mailbox address at my ISP's mail
servers.  This works like a charm, but you might need to add your local
account to the `trusted users' class of Sendmail to inhibit the automatic
generation of an `X-Authentication-Warning' header (which is automagically
inserted in the outgoing mail headers by Sendmail, if some non-trusted user
fires up Sendmail with the -f option to change their envelope from address).

--giorgos