Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 2009 13:01:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   xorg 7.4 questions

I have been trying to get xorg 7.4 first going and then updated. I have some
general questions. First using xdm it takes from 3-5 minutes to start. Second,
using hal and dbus even starting is an adventure. Once it started in well under
a minute but mostly it just locks up. In reading Xorg.0.log and xdm.log, I see
no errors. Is my time-to-start out of line?

Using hal and dbus was working fine until I attempted updating xorg using
portmaster, trying 'portmaster -n -PP xorg'. This gave me a list that seemed
reasonable so I tried it for real, getting an error about finding an archive
that I did not understand and the man page did not address. So I installed
portupgrade and the 'hal dbus' version of xdm stopped working. I view this as
coincidence but switching back to not using hal and dbus and using the ati
driver (rather than radeon) works.

As it appears that kde4 depends on having xorg updated, I am kind of stuck. Is
the time-to-start an indication that I have a basic hardware issue and all my
other symptoms derive that that? My last question is does kde4 require hal or
dbus to be activiated?

Doug

_____
Douglas Denault