Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 06:21:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au (Kris Kennaway)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, rmooney@iss.net, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CDDA Extraction under FreeBSD

> > Have you looked at the patches Luigi made back in january ??
>
> Interesting this should come up now - I picked up Luigi's patches

ouch, there's too much interest on this stuff! let me repeat, there are
two problems with it:
1) our atapi code does not handle timeouts, and some atapi drives i
   have tried tend to cause timeouts when reading audio tracks or have
   non-compliant behaviour of the audio-read function. As a
   consequence, you risk deadlocks by running this code

2) some atapi drives i have tried have the "jitter" problem (the drive
   does not return the exact block when doing sequential reads), so
   any useful problem should, from time to time, go back and restart
   reading. I don't have a precise algorithm to do this, but tosha does
   not implement it. Probably Charles Herrich's "cdd" program does a
   good job on this.

	cheers
	luigi