Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2007 17:19:31 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from FreeBSD 5.3 to 6.2

--------------enigD49BCF4790D617CC34931E35

Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz wrote:

> I found Ralph Engelschall scripts to upgrade FreeBSD systems.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/upgrade/freebsd-upgrade-5x-6x.txt

> Probably this line tell me that I can't use it to upgrade from 5.3 to
> 6.2. If I'm write, what can I do and how to modify it to upgrade a 5.3
> box ? Any other suggestion ???

5.3 contains enough "new-style" FreeBSD features that upgrade should go
without problems. The instructions at the above link are a bit
over-cautious but look correct. If you ever did any FreeBSD upgrades
successfully (following documented procedures), you probably already do
everything that's necessary, there's nothing very specific to do about 5.=
3.