Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 05:14:34 -0800
From:      "Jay Nordwick" <nordwick@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problems connection with ppp to a Portmaster.

My ISP uses Portmaster systems and under FreeBSD (tried with MS NT, but all
is fine), I am getting very strange behavior.  I would normally pass these
off as line noise or something else, but I have had the telco check my line
for noise twice from the station and once in my building.

First, the connection always takes longer.  After going through the
familiar noises, it sound like it has to go through them again, then
it takes about 15 seconds for a link to be established (as opposed to
about 3 for NT).

Second, I get very bursty throughput.  When I ping, I get nothing, then I
will get about 10 packets quickly, then nothing, then another 10.  Again,
this does not occur in NT and I have been on the line with my ISP at the
time this happens and they are telling me that they do not see any problems
and that others seems to be working fine (they even setup a special account
for me to test this behavior).

Third, I get frequent and sudden drops (my line, I have mutted my phone and
listened to the line and all of the sudden my modem just drops).

I checked through the GNATS system, but didn't find anything useful.

Has anybody else had problems or know what further information I can
provide or what I can do?

-jay