Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 19:19:50 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
Cc:        Tommy Hallgren <thallgren@yahoo.com>, FreeBSD-Advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Record

>On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Tommy Hallgren wrote:
>
>> Shouldn't we take advantage of the record ftp.cdrom.com set some days
>> ago by writing some "official statement" and post it to places like
>> slashdot.org and yahoo?
>>
>> Regards, Tommy - did miss the announcement
>
>	Perhaps it would be possible to get the folks responsible to the
>last ftp.cdrom.com record to do another one or help.  Wasn't it partly
>done by the ISP.  I know if I were runnig the ISP, I'd be pretty pleased
>to let the world that I could provide that level of wservice that
>ftp.cdrom.com is unfettered by network bandwidth.

   I think you're refering to the joint press release that CRL and I hammered
out back in July:

http://www.crl.com/wccdromrcd.html

   This was for the 417GB day, which is very old news now. The current record,
set a few days ago, is 724GB. When we made the July press release, we were
informed that actually Netscape/globalcenter believe they hold the record
at 2TB/day. Of course this was with a hundred or more servers at several
locations...and was one day back in late '97. We're currently doing more than
1/2TB per day, every day, on a single uni-processor P6/200.
   In any case, I was thinking that the next press release should be made when
we top 1TB/day in traffic. I'm also thinking we'll do a press release, jointly
with CRL, when we move to gigabit ethernet and also, jointly with Micron and
possibly Intel, when we upgrade the server to the Xeon/400.

-DG

David Greenman