Date:      Tue, 6 May 2003 13:08:53 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re: `Hiding' libc symbols

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 11:02:24AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> If you could do your census again but this time showing which symbols
> clash we would have a better idea of what we are talking about..

Uh, that is the list I posted.   Yes, that long list included clashing
symbols only.

> Probably most of these packages have these function 'in case' the system
> does not.

It's a pretty good mix of those that do it `in case' and those that do
it for their own reasons.

> You can also bet that if compiled on Linux they don't include
> these functions if Linux has them, so I'm willing to bet that many of
> them have ways to turn off much of the excess stuff.

You would lose the bet.  These applications compile and run fine on
FreeBSD _now_, also.  Whether or not something in libc will change in
the future to break it is the question (as in the qpopper example).
Or maybe the `bad' code path hasn't yet been hit.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine   . NTT/Verio SME      . FreeBSD UNIX       . Heimdal
nectar@celabo.org . jvidrine@verio.net . nectar@freebsd.org . nectar@kth.se