Date:      Tue, 8 Feb 2000 18:14:03 +1100
From:      "Lachlan O'Dea" <lodea@vet.com.au>
To:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape 4.x hangs up when starting

On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 06:37:42AM +0100, Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:

> Hi, I have an "old" problem that I wish to solve now because it begin to
> stress me now... :-)
>
> In a dialup box Netscape hangs at the  starts freezing itself for a timeout
> period usually of a couple of minute or more. The problem happens here if I
> don't "quit all" user ppp after the first connection I made was finished,
> but this is a very annoying thing for persons that use user ppp from
> /etc/rc.conf and not manually.
>
> Is possible to have a workaround for this ? Any solutions in the many ENV
> vars of Netscape ?

So this happens after you've disconnected, but ppp is still running? I
think Netscape might be doing a DNS lookup. It tries to send packets
through your ppp interface until it times out. If this happens when you
start Netscape, you can probably fix it by setting a blank home page.

There might be some DNS knobs in ~/.netscape/prefs.js, but I don't know.

Of course, it could be something else entirely...

--
Lachlan O'Dea <mailto:lodea@vet.com.au>   Computer Associates Pty Ltd
Webmaster                                   Vet - Anti-Virus Software

"You must unlearn what you have learned." - Yoda, Jedi Master