Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:07:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mpp.minn.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   daily insecurity output (fwd)

I received the following from the security section of my /etc/daily
report, and I'm not totally sure what to make of it.  My last
make world/install was on Jul 13, but I know I did not re-install
a new /bin/ps today.  However, I did reboot my machine at 18:23
at that time to clear up a problem that was causing all of the virtual
consoles to be unusable.

> checking setuid files and devices:
> mpp setuid/device diffs:
> 2c2
> < -r-xr-sr-x  1 bin    kmem       151552 Jul 13 18:04:08 1995 /bin/ps
> ---
> > -r-xr-sr-x  1 bin    kmem       151552 Aug  9 18:23:38 1995 /bin/ps

I think I also located another binary with an odd timestamp,
but I'll have to look into that some more.

Probably the most important fact in all this is that the reboot
I did at 18:23 was to boot a -current kernel.  Before that
I was running a kernel that was about 2 - 2.5 weeks behind
-current.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

(I'm doing a full security audit as I type this to see if I might
have had a real breakin)
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@mpp.minn.net