Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 00:17:49 -0700
From:      Christian Sung <cwsung@Sung.org>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Subject:   Re: Heads up: block devices to disappear!

I **strongly** agree.  I don't see a significant gain in removing block
devices, yet it somehow seems that on the other hand we'd lose some degree
of functionality in doing so.

-christian

At 12:27 AM 6/24/98 -0400, Simon Shapiro wrote:

>On 23-Jun-98 Peter Wemm wrote:
>
>... some excellent explanations deleted ...
>
>I still fail to see why these have to be removed, changed or modified in
>any way.  The savings in kernel size are minimal.  The block device being a
>``subset'' of the char device is one view.  Another view is that the
>character device is an extention to the block device.
>
>They are fundamentally different creatures.
>
>While I have rarely used the block device for anything but mounting
>filesystems, I have used them more than once, when needing to do high speed
>I/O  to a partition, while still wanting the kernel to buffer the I/O, as
>in userspace filesystems, storage managers for databases, and toehr such
>creatures.
>
>I'd suggest we leave these alone.  They hurt no one and come handly at
>times.  The contortions needed to implement block devices on top of
>character devices without having block devices are hardly worth the fuss.
>
>Simon

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message

Christian W. Sung         E-Mail: cwsung@Sung.org
IS Management Consultant    Website: www.Sung.org
Senior UNIX Consultant   Telephone (800) COM-UNIX

"And the UNIX Guru typed 'rm -rf /*', and all
 that was before, including the Guru himself,
 became then null and void, and darkness came
 down upon the system and those who worshiped
 it in a rather ruthless way." -- C.W. Sung