Date:      27 Feb 2002 02:33:56 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL

Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu> writes:

> I very much appreciate you brought up this topic just now.

I almost wish I hadn't.  I wasn't trying to stir things up or chaff sore
spots; just to note some fairly minor problems I noticed on one page.

> If you are not sure it is a bug, it is better to bring it up on a
> frequented mailing list so that people can comment on it.

That's best, but some may not have the patience to see it through, since
many questions are ignored or inadequately answered.  The person I
mentioned didn't like to see man page issues discussed outside -doc, but
I think we agree he was wrong as the -doc audience is to limited.

> happened, more than once. Eg the freebsd-printing list is still at
> @bostonradio.org last I checked. But it can also be said that FreeBSD
> already has to many mailing lists which is also sort-of true. Just look
> at mailing-lists.ent recently:-)

Is there a policy against listing non-freebsd.org MLs?  I don't remember
seeing any such MLs.

> Yes. But the "Webmasters" hang out there. If you click the email link
> on the bottom of most of the www pages, the email goes to that list.

So are the many web-page comments seen on -doc mis-addressed?

> So the short story is: while posting apparently still works to both
> address variants, now the freebsd- versions should be preferred for
> subscription etc. (Except the only list which never had this prefix:
> cvs-all)

It should be preferred to let the newbies know what the veterans know.

> Although quite some people have been bitten by this (including me, I had

Mine stopped working after I had been using the lists for a few weeks last
summer without any known change at my end.  Took me several days to fix.
It's interesting to read that it might have been my ISP who changed
something. (They went belly up a couple of weeks later.)  I was silently
cussing FreeBSD for not warning of upcoming rule change.

> I hope that you will be able to get some discussion going about Project
> interna, because quite unlike some "old hands" I do feel that, once this
> is a public effort where everyone's effort is solicited, it is only fair
> to treat everybody as equals, not as first-rate (core and some alumni)
> second-rate (committers) and the rest ("just" users, testers, bug fixers
> etc) and this involves making the "house rules" public knowledge, even
> if that means that a debate might start about them. It is just the right
> thing to do.

I disagree that it's fair to treat everybody as equals.  It's fair to
treat the greatest contributors (past and present) specially, especially
if it helps them contribute even more (eg, keeping low-contributors (ie,
noise) off some lists).  I do agree that openness is a very helpful
thing, except in rare instances.

Thanks for your interest.