Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 2003 21:18:43 +0100
From:      Dominic Marks <dom@cus.org.uk>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers list <FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: advise for new mainboard

On 06/07/2003 21:45, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm shopping for a P4 mainboard.
>
> Currently I'm considering a Asus P4P800 (I don't need the RAID from the
> Deluxe version) or the Asus P4PE.
>
> The latter one has a Broadcom gigE NIC, whereas the P4P800 has a 3COM
> chip which I think is not currently supported?
>
> Advise welcome on whether this is a good idea or not.
>
> Wilko
> --
> |   / o / /_  _   		wilko@FreeBSD.org
> |/|/ / / /(  (_)  Bulte

I can't offer any review of the hardware you are looking at, but I can
say what experience I have had of an Intel 875P based mainboard which is
in a Dell Dimension I've just bought.

Specification:
 http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/875P/

Everything seems to work with recent -CURRENT with the exception of the
integrated sound which works with a patch available in Gnats. The
performance is excellent, I have a 2.6GHz P4 with HT in this machine and
it certainly flies.

Hope this is useful,
--
Dominic