Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 2002 21:10:56 -0700
From:      John Reynolds <johnjen@reynoldsnet.org>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   gnome 1.4 build is dying -- gnomecontrolcenter to blame

I'm trying to install GNOME 1.4 through the meta/mega port and things are dying
at gnomecore:

checking for CApplet library... Unknown library `capplet'
configure: error: Did not find CApplet library, you probably need to install
control-center first
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
      Please report the problem to gnome@FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach
      the "/usr/ports/x11/gnomecore/work/gnome-core-1.4.1/config.log" including
      the output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be a good
      idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your system
      (e.g. an `ls /var/db/pkg`).
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnomecore.
*** Error code 1

it seems that libcapplet.so.5 was not installed. At this point in the build,
sysutils/gnomecontrolcenter was NOT installed as a LIB_DEP (even though it sure
seems like it should have been after reading through bsd.gnome.mk). So, I
installed it thinking that would fix things. It doesn't. I logged into a
machine that already has an older installation of GNOME1.4 (from last spring
when 1.4 just hit the tree) and saw that /usr/X11R6/lib/libcapplet* was
installed via the gnomecontrolcenter port (1.4.0.4_2). However, now at version
1.4.0.5 the port does NOT install the files. Look at the pkg-plist shows that
they are not in this list. If I go into the work area for the port after
installation I can find the files compiled though:

   ./control-center/.libs/libcapplet.so.5
   ./control-center/.libs/libcapplet.so
   ./control-center/.libs/libcapplet.a
   ./control-center/.libs/libcapplet.lai
   ./control-center/.libs/libcapplet.la
   ./control-center/libcapplet.la

My ports tree was CVSup'ed 4 hours ago, so it is quite "fresh." This system was
previously wiped of ALL installed packages (except emacs and a few other
completely non-GNOME-related ones) so I'm starting from nothing here. Can
anybody else confirm this bare-install GNOME 1.4 failure? I'm going to manually
copy those files to /usr/X11R6/lib and see how things proceed, but this sure
seems broken that 1.4.0.4 installed them and 1.4.0.5 doesn't.

-Jr

--
John & Jennifer Reynolds  johnjen@reynoldsnet.org  http://www.reynoldsnet.org/
Sr. Component Design Engineer, ICG, Intel Corp.    jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com