Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 1997 10:17:43 +1100 (EST)
From:      Peter Hawkins <peter@rhiannon.clari.net.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        danny@hilink.com.au, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, peter@rhiannon.clari.net.au
Subject:   GUI wizard interface

I have almost finished writing the first release of a new library intended
to make it very easy to put a graphical front end on wizards and managemant
tools. Basically all you need to do is write your back end, then define
a finite state machine to interface it. The latter is a 5 minute job.
You then call the library with a single but fairly versatile and extendable
syntax with an option either to:

1. display via ncurses
2. display via X11
3. Have the library spawn of a specially tailored HTTPD on a port of your choice
and connect to your tool via your browser. This httpd draws its windows
by counting spaces rather than with frames so lynx works fine. It has
the ability to keep logs on who connects from where and (shortly) will
enable passwording - currently I use ipfw to restrict access. Images it
uses are compiled into the library itself so there is no need to maintain
multiple files and the images are used by the X11 interface in the form
of X bitmaps (again inside the library).

To whatever extent is possible it uses the lowest common denominator
(very basic html etc) and provides as similar an appearance on any of
the displays as it can. Also the interface for driving it in any display mode
is identical - in httpd mode, it stores information sent to it when you call it
so that it is able to send it when someone connects later. In this way,
it maintains the appearance to your code of being called from your library
then returning a result for your code to continue.

I would like comments on this and in particular, I would be interested to
see if there is interest in using it to provide a similar look and feel for
management utilities under FreeBSD (though the code is portable). Please
note that I believe that with the gui end "in the bag", the whipping up
of your favorite tool is likely to be a damn side easier so that they're
likely to proliferate.

Peter