Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 15:31:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Novikmec Jozef <novikmec@intrak.tuke.sk>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, deven@netexplorer.org
Subject:   Re: modem compatibility list?

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

> Novikmec Jozef <novikmec@intrak.tuke.sk> types:
> > On Fri, 25 May 2001, Deven Kampenhout wrote:
> > > I just moved into a new home, and unfortunatly, the new town I live in
> > > does not have DSL capability (or any other affordable broadband). So my
> > > dillema is now that I have to use a 56k modem to connect to the
> > > internet. Does anyone know of a modem compatibility list for FreeBSD? If
> > > not, does anyone have any reccomendations for a decent modem to buy? I
> > > don't need any frills, just a plain and simple 56k modem for data (no
> > > fax or voice required).
> >
> > I'm not guru in FreeBSD world, but I think that this is very similar to
> > situation in Linux world. If you buy any external modem, it will be good.
>
> Not quite true any more in either world. If it's an external serial
> modem, you're fine. If it's a USB modem, it may or may not work on
> FreeBSD. You need a modem that supports the ACM protocols, and not all
> of them do. Last time I looked at Linux, there was no USB support at
> all, but that's been most of a year ago.

Now in Linux is new kernels generation 2.4. and there is quite good
support for USB devices. I personally didn't try, but in mailing lists
there is many examples of using USB under Linux.

OK, I forgot in my answer that there are also USB modems. Generally I
meaned serial modems. So again, you can buy any serial external modem and
it will be good by if you want use it under Linux and probably under
FreeBSD too.

> Internal modems are problematical. If it doesn't say it works with DOS
> or Windows NT, it's a winmodem. Generally, they don't work, but
> there's a Linux driver for one version that can be made to work. Check
> the list archives for more information. If it does work on those, then
> it may well work on FreeBSD. If you have to have an internal modem,
> I'd recommend buying one that claims to work on DOS and/or WinNT from
> a place with a good return policy. You might also look through the
> list archives to see if someone reported getting theirs working.
>
> 	<mike
> --
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>			http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
> Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more information.

		S pozdravom

				|<mec

 Close the Windows, shut the gates ! ;-)

      Oznam: Prednaska o cestovani v case sa bude konat vcera.