Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 14:16:32 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's the interest in standard tools rewritten in perl?

As Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> I can always call it something else (newnewsyslog?), but I was
> wondering if FreeBSD Inc would consider utilities that were not
> written in C?

If the advantages of the prospective rewrite would outweigh the
disadvantages (like slower startup and higher CPU load), there are
usually only objections by the (not very large) ``anti-bloatist
club''.

Some of the tools have already been rewritten in Perl, think of
Wolfram Schneider's vastely improved catman(1), or my version of
whereis(1) that replaced the crippled 4.4BSD version.  Whoever has
been looking into the 4.3BSD (Net/2) version of whereis(1), and who at
least knows how scripting languages work, and what their advantages
are, will certainly quickly agree with me that rewriting it in Perl
was the better way out.  I assume Wolfram's reasoning with catman(1)
was similar.

The 80 % accepted opinion of the core team is that new languages, and
scripting languages in particular, might have their right to exist if
they really offer advantage when and where they are used (like easier
code maintenance, much improved features, etc.)  We are in the 1990's,
not in the 1970's.  But before you're going to rewrite something that
does already exist, look whether it will be justified.

--
cheers, J"org