Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:34:10 -0700
From:      Joshua Lokken <joshua@twobirds.us>
To:        Matt Anderson <emattman@cascadeaccess.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with 5.2.1 Release

* Joshua Lokken <joshua@twobirds.us> [2004-04-24 22:07]:
> * Matt Anderson <emattman@cascadeaccess.com> [2004-04-24 21:46]:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I've got an older computer.  PIII 450.  Riva TNT 2 video.  Plenty of
> > RAM.
> >
> > Couple of issues.  First, let me say that I've been using FreeBSD off
> > and on since version 3.
> >
> > 1.  1st hardrive has Windows XP on it.  Full Drive.  2nd drive is
> > devoted to FreeBSD.  Boot manager, unlike older versions, seems to
> > always change the active partition when I boot into FreeBSD thus after a
> > reboot I have to boot from a DOS floppy and make the XP partition on the
> > 1st drive active so the computer can boot.  I've done several installs
> > over the last couple of days and can not seem to find a way around this.
>
> Others may/may not scold me for suggesting this, but I have had *very*
> good luck with GAG:
>
> http://gag.sourceforge.net/
>
> It will not disrupt your existing loader, and it'll boot both OSes just
> fine from either disk.
>
> > 2.  I WAS having a problem with the machine freezing every time I
> > started X.  I read in the erata about the ACIP problems and got around
> > that.  However, when I created a "custom" kernel, and all I did was add
> > the pcm driver so I could have sound, the machine freezes on boot while
> > accessing the ethernet card.  3Com card that works fine with the Generic
> > kernel.  That has me completely stumped.
>
> Me, too.

After a bit more digging, I wonder if it has to do with the device hints
for your new kernel.  If you do a:

# kenv -h

you'll get a list of all of the kernel probe hints.  I'm not sure, but
maybe you need to add hints for the sound card to /boot/device.hints; it
doesn't look like (since the device isn't included in the GENERIC
kernel) they're included by default.  I'd bet the freeze is actually
during the sound card probe.

--
Joshua

"It's like being married to my best friend
    (and he lets me feel his boobs.)"
          -- Homer Simpson