Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 11:35:24 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
To:        Mark Powell <mark@ucsalf.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RARP and bootparamd per NetBSD [was Re: Root filesystem on NFS, Linux style ???]

In message <Pine.BSI.3.94.960710102512.21061A-100000@plato.ucsalf.ac.uk>, Mark
Powell writes:
>On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>

>> I must have missed the original email, I don't recall the subject.
>
>Basically getting the kernel, if it has no rootfs to perform a RARP
>request to get it's IP address. From NetBSD-current sys/nfs/nfs_boot.c:

Hmm, nice...

>> patches are most welcome of course.
>
>Well... I have identified the section of code that needs working on, but
>I've not modified a FreeBSD kernel, previously. It'll need some learning
>curve climbing. Thought it might be elementary for one of the kernel aces
>to slip in, between coffees, so to speak :)

Well, I only drink tea, so there is never any time between coffees for me :-/

I'll put it on my list, but it will be down at the far end for now, and
that means about 80 entries on top of this one :-(

I suggest you give it a shot, it shouldn't be that hard actually...

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.