Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 12:41:09 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Link to a new Tutorial ?

On Mon, Oct 27, 1997 at 10:47:53AM -0500, John Fieber wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > Your
> > document, on the other hand, is not a FreeBSD Documentation project
> > "product" and should therefore probably get a link under support,
> > along with the other 3rd party resources.
>
> I disagree slightly.  It should probably be mentioned that it
> (and the IP aliasing tutorial) are maintained by third parties,
> but it is clearly documentation about FreeBSD and should be on
> the documentation page.

That's certainly the logic I followed when I requested the link, and
probably the logic most will follow when they're looking for help.

I guess it depends on if you want things listed in the tutorial
section that aren't in the FreeBSD CVS tree (at least for now).
I vote to allow the links on the documentation page. I know at least
for my stuff, it will eventually make its way into the CVS tree
where anyone can check it out, etc..  I'ts just not in there right now
during the early development stages.

That said, a link on the support page is appreciated as well.. I just think it
will be easier for new users if they find the links with the rest of the
documentation.

cya,
-Mark

> As an analogy, go to your friendly neighborhood Government
> Document Depository library and try to find stuff.  Gov Docs are
> (usually) organized by the agency that produces them rather than
> topic.  Add to that semiannual agency splits, mergers and name
> changes and you have a completely unusable system.
>
> -john

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU