Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:21:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tedm@toybox.placo.com (Ted Mittelstaedt)
Cc:        s337240@student.uq.edu.au (Trent Waddington), freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stallman stalls again

[ ... ideo-logic ... ]

> I've read this statement 6 times putting myself into the most convoluted
> frame of mind possible and I still can't understand how this undermines
> the goals of GPL, even if people start doing what Stallman says they can do.

The point is that it can result in proprietary code taking
advantage of GPL'ed code.  You have to understand the very
big difference between "use" an "utilize".  It's a dictionary
argument.

> Java's just another tool, nowhere near as popular as C.  It's getting close
> to peaking anyway, in 10 years it's going to be in just another of those
> cubbyholes that Perl, Sed, Awk, PHP, HTML and all the rest of them are in.

Java's primary value is as a cross-platform API.  Eventually,
with the notable exception of bytecode rendered to run on a
handful of proprietary processors, it will all be compiled
code.

I keep meaning to write a science fiction novel predicated on
the idea that everything standardizes to a single instruction
set, and then someone comes up with a new processor instruction
set, and uses it in the context of a crime.  One of the hero's
helpers (the moral equivalent of Perry Mason's Paul Drake) has
to decode the instruction set to figure out what it means.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.