Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 08:52:25 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Novikmec Jozef <novikmec@intrak.tuke.sk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, deven@netexplorer.org
Subject:   Re: modem compatibility list?

Novikmec Jozef <novikmec@intrak.tuke.sk> types:
> On Sat, 26 May 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Not quite true any more in either world. If it's an external serial
> > modem, you're fine. If it's a USB modem, it may or may not work on
> > FreeBSD. You need a modem that supports the ACM protocols, and not all
> > of them do. Last time I looked at Linux, there was no USB support at
> > all, but that's been most of a year ago.
> Now in Linux is new kernels generation 2.4. and there is quite good
> support for USB devices. I personally didn't try, but in mailing lists
> there is many examples of using USB under Linux.

As I implied, I don't follow Linux closely. I'd be surprised if they
supported much more than ACM modems - though support for buggy
implementations will vary - as that's the protocol that looks most
like a serial device at the application level. The other choices
don't, though it's possible the Linux kernel deals with that even
though the FreeBSD kernel doesn't. However, there are also USB modems
that are completely proprietary; those are effectively external
winmodems. Hopefully they will die out as the chipsets implementing
the standards drop in price.

> OK, I forgot in my answer that there are also USB modems. Generally I
> meaned serial modems. So again, you can buy any serial external modem and
> it will be good by if you want use it under Linux and probably under
> FreeBSD too.

I suspected that's what you'd done. I just wanted to make sure someone
didn't go out and buy a USB modem as an external modem - only to have
it fail.

	<mike