Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 1996 11:50:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: routing problem

Michael Dillon writes:
> On Sun, 28 Jul 1996, Peter Hawkins wrote:
>
> > Clearly I need to forward from 85.9 <-> 222.10 and I thought routed
> > would just do this for me. Clearly routed is setting up the gateway
> > to 222.11 as I can ping it however my customer can't ping 85.9.
> > Yes I know it's probably a dumb question, but if you can help me
> > I would appreciate it.
>
> Routed doesn't have anything to do with packet forwarding. Delete it.
> Then make sure you have packet forwarding enabled in the kernel withthe
> GATEWAY option and make sure your routes are set up properly with
> route add, and netstat -nr.

Or turn forwarding on in /etc/sysconfig:

# If you want this host to be a gateway, set to YES.
gateway=YES

John Capo                                                   jc@irbs.com
IRBS Engineering                       FreeBSD Servers and Workstations
(954) 792-9551                 Unix/Internet Consulting - ISP Solutions