Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:54:57 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Dan Kegel <dank@alumni.caltech.edu>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kqueue microbenchmark results

moved to hackers, dropped linux-kernel and -chat.

* Dan Kegel <dank@alumni.caltech.edu> [001024 21:38] wrote:
> Johnathan,
> Thanks for running that test for me!  I've added your results
> (plus a cautionary note about microbenchmarks and a link to
> your site) to http://www.kegel.com/dkftpbench/Poller_bench.html
>
> If you haven't already, you might peek at the discussion on
> linux-kernel.  Linus seems to be on the verge of adding
> something like kqueue() to Linux, but appears opposed to
> supporting level-triggering; he likes the simplicity of
> edge triggering (from the kernel's point of view!).  See
> http://boudicca.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/2000week44/index.html#9

Jonathan, wouldn't this be a good time to try to push our interface
on Linux?  After all, we have several instances of it working and
having the Open Source community force a new design feature into
mainstream UNIX to address scalability would be very cool.

Basically, if Linux implements exactly the same thing but just
a bit different it would suck pretty badly for both camps.

Also Linus doesn't seem to realize the utility of the transparent
void * that kevent has:

http://boudicca.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/2000week44/0310.html

Since you wrote kqueue, maybe you want to clue him in about the
wonders of our interface before they find themselves with a
deficient API that's not like anything else out there?