Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 20:54:58 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   NTP gurus

OK, I'm trying to actually us the information that Bruce setup to make
my system 'more accurate'.  (Thanks Paul for putting it under
bootverbose though, it's much nicer now).

I have a ntp server serving my domain, but it's on the end of a modem
which has compression turned on which according to Garrett is a 'bad
thing' for ntp.  However, the compression does me more good than damage,
so I'll leave it on.

Understanding that my server may not be completely accurate, I am still
using it to keep the rest of the machines in my domain in sync.  At most
they are a half a minute off from each other, vs. 10's of minutes in the
past.

Anyway, back to my question.  How do I determine 'how accurage' my
system's clock is based on /etc/ntp.drift?  What are good numbers to
have?

On my ntp server box (a 486), it currently has a value of '-7.776 0'
using the external ntp servers
but on my Pentium box with the tweaked parameters using the values from
-current, it's value using *only* the local server is '8.548 0'.

Is this good?  Is this bad?  I don't know what is considered good, so
can someone tell me a good goal to shoot for?

Thanks!

Nate