Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 09:59:08 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        "Ron Klinkien" <ron@zappa.demon.nl>
Cc:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>, "Thomas Lau" <lkthomas@hkicable.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Western Digital or IBM of Hard Disk are better?

ron rumbled

> Another important thing I keep in mind when choosing a harddrive
> is the amount of noise they make.

> Since a few days I have an IBM Deskstar 60GXP and it's _very
> quiet_, it also doesn't get hot at all...

*sigh*

I've got three 15k cheethas slated for my new dual athlon workstation
this summer.  (plus 4 ide drives as a scratchy drive and raid backup
for the scsi system).  I've got a feeling this puppy only gets turned
on when It's time to run a model.  At least I'll be warm in the winter
. . .

What would be nice would be a simple box with two drive bays and a
video card slot to hold a scsi cdrw and the card for the monster
monitor, so that the machine could live in another room  (or even
building! :).  But the budgetis already straining . . .

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail