Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 13:25:50 -0500
From:      Richard Holland <hangar@dialnet.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   pppd, iijppp, and modem

     I have a problem, one that #freebsd on Efnet had no idea how to fix, so
I figure i'll give this a shot.  I used to run Linux, decided to run a more
non generic UNIX, so I grabbed FreeBSD, I installed the kern developer's set
(bin, manpages, dict, kernel source, doc, proflibs, etc.) of FreeBSD -
2.1.5.  Everything is fine save for this:  I usually (Linux) dialed out to
my ISP via minicom, logged in there, then ctrl-q to quit w/o reset, and run
this line:

pppd /dev/modem 38400 crtscts defaultroute noipdefault

     That would establish my ppp link with dialnet, now first i'll say my
modem's internal and the dip switches are set to COM3 irq 5, I booted my
FreeBSD kernel -c and disabled com2, and enabled com 3 with irq (dmesg |
grep sci shows sci0 and sci2 being found, sci1 and sci3 disabled) and yes,
sci2 is on irq 5.
now I do the SAME login procedure with pppd as I did with Linux ,minicom
dials fine, I quit w/o reset, and issue the same line, changing /dev/modem
to /dev/cuaa2 , heres where the problems occur, syslog says connect ppp0
<--> /dev/cuaa2..then about 5-10 seconds later I get LCP: timeoute sending
Config-request and it exits, now I had this problem in Linux , havin my
modem on the wrong irq was the problem, I had to setserial it to irq 5 and
everything went ok, the only difference was, minicom barely dialed out, and
the login promt was all jarbled, in FreeBSD the modem works fine.  So I then
decided to try the user ppp (iijppp I believe).  I compiled the kernel with
psuedo-device tun 1 or however it is formatted, and after compiliation ran
MAKEDEV tun0 in /dev to create the device, set up some of the config files
in /etc/ppp, then typed ppp
I set line to /dev/cuaa2, set parity even, set speed 38400, typed show modem
to make sure of these settings, then I entered term mode:
at
OK
atdtphone-number
* it dials here, rings, connects *
CONNECT 144000
* now the login prompt is shot at me all jarbled and weird *
   jfkdasdfaskxfj;dsjfkldasddjfklas;jfkla;sjfaogin: username
           fjkldsafjdslkafjdls;ajfkl;asdjfklas;jfkldjklsa;jfasj;saword: password
* now here it stops, waits 25 seconds, then tells me *
NO CARRIER

     I know you probably get problems like this daily, but I would
appreciate your help with this, as I like FreeBSD much more than Linux, and
would love to continue using it, if you need anymore info from me, mail me!
I want to solve this problem.

hangar@irc, hangar@dialnet.net, rholland@freon.republic.k12.mo.us
Linux sys admin 2.0.x, 1.2.x (freon.republic.k12.mo.us