Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 18:48:48 +0200
From:      Jochem Kossen <j.kossen@home.nl>
To:        frank@exit.com
Cc:        Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security through obscurity? (was: ssh + compiled-in SKEY support considered harmful?)

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 16:57, Frank Mayhar wrote:
> Jochem Kossen wrote:
> > It does work. But i think you mean the tcp connections.
> > Does that mean you vote for enabling _all_ services? They don't
> > work out of the box as well...
>
> This is ridiculous.  You know as well as I do that that's _not_ what
> Greg means.  Just don't change stuff out from under the users.

True, but this mail wasn't a response to Greg. Over the time i've used=20
FreeBSD, i've seen several services been disabled by default, and i=20
don't see a difference between that and this. Care to explain?

> > > And don't tell me that X11 is an add-on and luxury.
> >
> > I agree, but the tcp connections IS an add-on luxury imho
>
> Wrong.  It's the way it works.

Yup, and i didn't like the way it works

> > > We are living in the 21st century.
> >
> > That's right, the century of virii, DoS attacks, worms, and
> > scriptkiddiots.
>
> Then fix the security holes at your end and leave the rest of to fix
> them the way _we_ want to.  Don't impose your "fix" on the rest of us
> by fiat.

Excuse me? I thought i sent in a patch which was an improvement. The=20
people responsible thought so too. The patch was a proposal, nothing=20
more, nothing less. I don't care at all wether my patch is in the ports=20
or not, i just thought it was a good idea, so i sent it in. I see=20
nothing wrong in that.

If people disagree with the patch, send in a PR and/or remove the patch.=20
That's all there is to it. The patch lives at=20
x11/XFree86-4-libraries/files/patch-startx