Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 10:54:10 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DVORAK keyboard drivers

> kbdcontrol -l us.dvorak
>
> Its as easy as that...
> X should inherit this from the console driver too...

If kbdcontrol gave us an easy way to tell what the keymap actually is,
as opposed to a bunch of raw data. I don't want to have to try to parse
a keymap to tell what it is.

And, as I said previously, nobody really uses the console, right? :-)

X has it's own way to load specific keymaps. I'm not opposed to having
the X server DTRT based on what the console driver has loaded, e.g. see
the X server sources for the Xdec and Xsun servers in R6.1, but we need
better support from the OS to do it.

(BTW, in 2.1.0R:

  %kbdcontrol -d > /tmp/keymap
  getting keymap: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Any thoughts?)

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY