Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:34:27 -0600
From:      Peter W.Schmiedeskamp <pschmied@selway.umt.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp in 4.4-Release

Hello, perhaps I'm missing something.  I just upgraded to 4.4 RELEASE.  The
long and the short of this is that I've re-set up my ppp.  I added my user to
the "network" group and made sure that /usr/sbin/ppp was had the proper
permissions (550 I believe).

I've set my modem device to chmod 666 for testing purposes.

Here's the kicker:

As root I type "ppp -background" everything dials and I have net access.

As normal user I type "ppp -background" (or if I do the interactive prompt it
does this too) and it tells me:

"Warning: No available tunnel devices found (No such file or directory)"

Can anyone shed any light on this one for me?  I think my setup is identical
to when I had 4.3, so this is a tad perplexing.

Thanks in advance.  Also, thanks to the FreeBSD developers for another
release.  Every time it gets a bit better, when the time before I could have
sworn it was perfect. :-)

-Peter