Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 10:58:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed addition to panic() behaviour

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Many people (including me) suffered from panic while their console was in
> > graphic mode (e.g. X Window). I don't know if this would be proper place
> > to do this, but in case of panic (where everything is lost anyway) just
> > add there the code to forcefully reset the video card to set it in
> > known (and useful) mode...
>
> See the numerous "DDX in the kernel" discussions in the -current list
> archives to see why "just add there the code to forcefully reset the
> video card" requires knowing how the video card got in the mode it's
> in, and specific knowledge of the card (hint: write-only hardware
> registers not shadoewed in RAM).

I see. But syscons driver _knows_ how to switch from X to text mode,
doesn't it?  Even if it *sometimes* fails (because some obscure registers
are garbled), *most of the time* it produces useful result. This would be
enough...

Hmm... Or is it the X server who knows how to do it, not the syscons?
But I also vaguely recall something like dump of VGA registers
when booted with -v, so they are stored somewhere, right?

Andrzej Bialecki