Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 1997 10:53:08 +1000
From:      Alastair Rankine <alastair@cia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot mount root

Hi FreeBSD experts,

I installed a SCSI disk into my box the other day, and put FreeBSD 2.2.2
onto it. Previously it was running FreeBSD 2.2.2 on the IDE disk. All works
just fine except that I can't seem to get it to remember where to mount the
root file system. The only way to start it up at present is to type
"1:sd(0,a)kernel" at the boot prompt.

I have tried recompiling my kernel to tell it that root should be on sd0:

config kernel root on sd0

.. but for some reason it tries to mount the root filesystem on sd1, not
sd0. Then panics because I don't have an sd1.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but the problem also happens if I boot
with "sd(0,a)kernel", that is without the "1:" prefix.

Any suggestions?

--
 [ Alastair Rankine ]     [ pgp D6E9 DC10 7B7A 9269 0F14 882D E9D9 D4D5 ]
 [ home mailto:alastair@cia.com.au       http://www.cia.com.au/alastair ]