Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2001 07:56:05 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        "Peter.H" <peter@gcsl.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bind 8.2.2 core dumping.

On Friday 08 June 2001 04:02, Peter.H wrote:
> Greeting
>
> I'm having problems with Bind 8.2.2 running for more than 3 days on a
> 4.0 release box.
> Basically after a few days I get this in the messages log.
>
> /kernel: pid 9536 (named), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
>
> Does anyone know what 'signal 11' denotes ? or has anyone had this
> problem before and knows the problem and solution.
>
> Any advice or ideas would be gratefully appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter@gcsl.com

Update to  8.2.4. There is a known bug in versions prior to 8.2.3-RELEASE
that allows a hacker to crash it. Here's a good article on replacing bind
from the ports.

http://www.freebsddiary.org/bind8-from-ports.php

Beech

     Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510