Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 19:54:16 +0200
From:      Munish Chopra <chopra@runbox.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup.freebsd.org I/O error

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 11:08:28AM -0400, Brian Reichert wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 11:46:04PM -0700, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > Mike Silbersack wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, it sounds like you're not alone.  If you check out various
> > > hardware message boards, there are people hopping mad about recent IBM
> > > drives having a high failure rate. :|
> > >
> > > But they support tagged queueing, so you can safely write cache!  :)
> >
> > Sounds like the DTLA series drives.. The biggest piles of junk I've seen!in
> > quite a while.
>
> Could someone give me a pointer to a current discussions concerning
> these drives?  I've been having errant hardware problems with some
> production servers, and am grasping at straws...

I just finished reading this:

http://www.storagereview.com/jive/sr/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=13134

...it's a message board at a pretty decent storage site. There aren't
too many great posts, but what seems to be pretty consistent is that the
problems arise (in part) because Windows 98 and ME shut down too fast -
so I'm assuming this has to do with the "Yes I wrote the data (ha ha I'm
lying)" 'feature' that has been discussed lately. A few people have just
had it show up when writing to the disk...

--
-Munish