Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 11:54:14 -0500
From:      Ralph Dratman <ralph@maxsoft.com>
To:        gsouther@cox.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to get FTP to log?

Gary,

Thank you so much. I didn't realize I had to restart syslogd. Also,
the syslog.conf syntax is somewhat subtle. I had originally put

ftp.*	/var/log/ftpd.log

at the end and that apparently was influenced by previous lines?
Anyway it didn't work.

I moved that line up and I now have the following active lines in syslogd.conf:

*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit		/dev/console
*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err	/var/log/messages
security.*					/var/log/security
mail.info					/var/log/maillog
ftp.debug					/var/log/ftpd
lpr.info					/var/log/lpd-errs
cron.*						/var/log/cron
*.err						root
*.notice;news.err			root
*.alert						root
*.emerg						*
!startslip
*.*						/var/log/slip.log
!ppp
*.*						/var/log/ppp.log

and after restarting syslogd it seems to be logging all ftp activity.

Probably your method is better. I still don't fully understand the
syntax but if it works I am satisfied!

Best regards,

Ralph