Date:      Tue, 07 Jan 2003 09:24:27 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        R P <rpsbsd@cox.net>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi parity errors

> I have a problem since adding a second hard drive to the 68-pin LVD/SE
> cable on an Adaptec 29160.
>
> The machine has two PPro 200 cpus, 384MB ram, Linksys lne100tx NIC,
> generic PCI USB card, Elsa Synergy II-32 PCI video card, Adaptec 1510 ISA
> SCSI controller (for a scanner) and SoundBlaster Vibra16 ISA card.  There
> are two drives on the LVD/SE cable and neither is terminated as the cable
> is terminated.  There is a SCSI CDRW on the 50-pin SE connector and a
> 9.2GB drive on the 68-pin SE connector.  Both are terminated.

How is the controller terminated?  Are you using auto termination for
both the primary (LVD only) and secondary (LVD/SE) bus segments?  If
you boot the system with verbose set, the aic7xxx driver will indicate
how it has setup your controller termination.  You need termination
enabled on the primary segment and only the high byte termination enabled
on the secondary segment.

> When I tried booting 4.4 from the HD after adding the second LVD drive,
> parity errors ran up the screen and the machine automatically rebooted.
> Trying the 4.0 CD produced the same parity errors and a stall.  Removing
> _all_ drives and cables but drive 0, the 18GB drive containing the earlier
> FreeBSD didn't work.  There are now no circumstances that allow FreeBSD to
> install on that drive.  Booting the 4.7 CD didn't work, but allowed
> getting debug output.

It sounds like you have manual termination settings that are no longer
correct for your setup or were never correct but happened to work under
a ligher load.

> These drives and adapter work in all configurations tried with MSDOS,
> Windows NT, and 2000 using supplied drivers from Adaptec and no drive
> parity or other drive errors were detected.

The non-FreeBSD drivers perform domain validation and will silently
perform speed fallback to avoid parity errors.

--
Justin