Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:16:30 +0900
From:      Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com>
To:        Craig Butler <craig001@lerwick.hopto.org>
Cc:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cassini nic driver - help required to port across driver from openbsd to freebsd

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 12:07:31PM +0100, Craig Butler wrote:
 > Hi All

Hi,

 > I need a driver for the Sun Cassini (0xabba) network card.  I have 5
 > b100s waiting for the sparc64 build cluster.
 > My understanding is that at the moment Freebsd does not currently have a
 > driver for the Cassini.  Digging around I see that OpenBSD does;

Yes, you're right.

 > How hard would it be to port across ?

I think it wouldn't be hard to make basic Tx/Rx work. But the
hardest part would be handling header spliting and reassemblying
data payloads of packets in a TCP stream into a single buffer
spanning as many pages in virtual memory as necessary.
When I checked cas(4) of OpenBSD, it didn't take advantage of
advanced hadware features of Cassini such as TCP checksum offload,
VLAN hardware assistance, TCP header spliting etc.

 > Would it be easier to start from scratch ?

Yes, I think so.

 > Does anybody want to help/guide me ?

I also have Cassini hardware and hoped to have spare time to write
a driver for Cassini. At least it looks challenging work for driver
writers to write high-performance driver for the exotic hardware.
Note, it seems that there are other revision of Cassini
manufactured by National Semiconductor, NS Saturn DP83065. That
hardware is not mentioned in the Cassini documentation released by
Sun and the hardware seem to require a lot of firmware fixups and
it's not available under BSD license. :-(

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon