Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 1998 00:04:02 -0500
From:      Dave Chapeskie <dchapes@ddm.on.ca>
To:        Omar Thameen <omar@clifford.inch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SQL choice questions.

[BTW, this belongs in freebsd-database, send all replies there]

On Fri, Jan 30, 1998 at 11:33:47PM -0500, Omar Thameen wrote:
> Check on the MySQL homepage (http://www.tcx.se) - there's a link to a
> bunch of benchmarks if performance is an issue for you.  FYI, we use
> MySQL.  It performs well and has a nice license agreement.

Take those benchmarks with a huge grain of salt.  They've been discussed
recently on the PgSQL mailing lists (with the guy who did the benchmarks
participating in the discussion).  The impression I got was that his
only experience with PgSQL was to get it to run the benchmarks and that
he doesn't understand how the PgSQL 'vacuum' command is used in the
real world.  I'm also not sure how well he understands how large RDBMS
systems are used.

IMHO, if all you want is simple single table lookups then msql or MySQL
may be fine but if you want something free that approaches a real RDBMS
then go for PostgreSQL.

--
Dave Chapeskie, DDM Consulting
E-Mail: dchapes@ddm.on.ca