Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 17:46:54 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Rosemary davey <Rosemary.davey@iridis.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xircom pmcia cards supported in freebsd 4.3

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 05:14:53PM +0100, Rosemary davey wrote:
> i have just been given a New Xircom 10/100 Pcmica card with modem, i have
> done a little searching and it seems that other Xircom cards are
> supported in freebsd 4.2 but i havnt found any specific info for my card
> and it seems that some Xircom devices don't work too consistantly. i am
> completely new to pmica hardware and setting it up, can anyone tell me if
> i will be able to get it working or where to find info that would help me
> out.

Hi Rosemary,

If the card is a _16-bit_ Xircom 10/100 + modem, it should work just fine,
although you won't be able to use the modem and Ethernet parts at the same
time under 4.x.  The Ethernet part uses the xe driver while the modem will
work with the standard sio serial driver.

What's the model number printed on the bottom of the card?  If it begins
with 'CE3' or 'REM-56' you should be OK.  Probably the easiest way to
proceed is to make sure you have 'pccard_enable="YES"' in your
/etc/rc.conf, reboot, then insert the card and see what happens.  Because
of the way that /etc/defaults/pccard.conf is ordered you'll probably end up
with a modem rather than Ethernet, but at least you'll know that pccardd is
recognising the card correctly.

To get the Ethernet side working, I'd suggest copying the relevant entries
for the 'xe' driver, right at the end of /etc/defaults/pccard.conf into
/etc/pccard.conf, so these will be checked first.  I'll think you'll need
to kill and restart pccardd (or just reboot) for those changes to be
noticed.  When you insert the card, you should get an 'xe0' interface being
configured.

If the card doesn't seem to be recognised, post the error messages back to
freebsd-mobile.  The Xircom cards can be a bit fussy about which
configurations they will work with, but they usually work in the end...

Cheers,

	Scott