Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:47:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: distfiles no longer on 4.0 CDs

As I recall, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> In message <4604.956046165@zippy.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
>> That's what the FreeBSD toolkit CD will provide.  We hope to have it
>> updated for 4.0 very shortly.
>
> The September edition of the ToolKit had 1.5 CD's of packages and
> 1.5 CD's of distfiles.  This will now leave us with 2 CD's of
> packages and 1 CD of distfiles.  Since we already have packages
> and no distfiles on the -RELEASE CD's, shouldn't the toolkit have
> distfiles and no packages?  Or could the -STABLE or Express Demo
> be replaced by packages instead?

I suggested some months back, but let me try again...

I'd pay for a separate CD package that contained =all= the
distfiles, by themselves.  I know some distfiles can't be put on a
CD due to restrictions by the authors.  For those, there should be a
script that runs fetch to complete the collection.  I can burn my
own CD for that residual.

My desire is driven due to the bit rot that sets in to any snapshot
of the ports collection.  Inevitably after a release, some authors
update their own site's version of a package and things stop
building.  I'd like to be able to freeze the complete ports
collection and everything it needs to coincide with a release.

If that collection were part of the toolkit, I suppose I could live
with that.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net