Date:      07 Sep 1999 10:00:42 -0400
From:      Rajappa Iyer <rsi@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   chown/chgrp location and MAKEDEV

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything
relevant in the mail archives.

/dev/MAKEDEV contains references to chown and chgrp which are in
/usr/sbin.  This makes it impossible to run MAKEDEV when the /usr fs
is not available.  I had recent occasion when I had to execute MAKEDEV
before /usr could be mounted---in fact, I had to execute MAKEDEV so
that /usr could be mounted on the disk whose LUN id had changed to
something for which there were no entries in /dev.  Yes, I know that I
should have run MAKEDEV before changing the id on the disk, but I do
feel one should be able run MAKEDEV without needing to have /usr
mounted.  Shouldn't chown and chgrp be in /sbin?

Thanks,
Rajappa
--
<rsi@panix.com> a.k.a. Rajappa Iyer.		New York, New York.
	We're too busy mopping the floor to turn off the faucet.