Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:30:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/46415: Proposed change in man-page wording for "chown"

The following reply was made to PR docs/46415; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org,
	System Administrator <root@asarian-host.net>
Date: 24 Jan 2003 19:19:08 -0800

 Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org> writes:

 >      Change the user ID and/or the group ID for the file hierarchies rooted
 >      in the files instead of just the files themselves.

 I guess it'll do.  It sure is geeky.  "Hierarchies rooted in files"?
 I'm not sure that it's even explained in intro Unix books that "files"
 can mean "directories" or what "rooted" means.  But I guess newbies can
 learn to decypher geek-speak the same way we did -- the hard way.

 >     +Be careful when you use wildcard patterns that include a dot
 >     +.Ql \&.
 >     +character, since when expanded by your shell it might result in
 >     +.Nm
 >     +changing files outside of the current directory.

 It probably needs to mention the culprit, ".." as it's not obvious why
 a dot needs care.  "*dog.cat" needs no care, but "dog/../../cat" does.
 (The latter's need for care can probably go without saying with or
 without a "*".)  How about:

 Beware of unintentionally operating on the ".." hard link when using
 wildcards which start with a dot (e.g., ".*") .

 Also: In your sentence, I think you ought to paren the dot character and
 move it after "character", or just remove the word "dot".

 P.S.  Here's a little log of a test I just ran.  I guess I don't know
 what we're trying to document, now. It didn't pick up the ".." link.
 ????

 $ chown -R root:wheel .*
 chown: .*: No such file or directory