Date:      Sun, 2 Jan 2000 15:09:23 +0800 (CST)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH protocol 1.6 proposal

[...to fork or not to fork...]

My apologies if this has been sorted out someplace else, but I'm sort of
wondering what the point is of trying to fix the SSH protocol.

A lot of very smart people worked long and hard on IPSEC.  It's an open,
interoperable standard.  It's simple to implement and understand.  It is
(I've been led to understand) well-analyzed and theoretically robust.
It works.

And, significantly, FreeBSD still doesn't have a documented, user-friendly,
fully-featured implementation.

What is the compelling attraction of yet another potentially shortlived
variation on a proprietary protocol?

	-Michael Robinson