Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:38:02 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Ping Pan <pingpan@cs.columbia.edu>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: A new kernel extension to deal with IP option packets

Hello Ping,

-On [20000731 04:01], Ping Pan (pingpan@cs.columbia.edu) wrote:
>Jeroen,
>
>Please let us know if it is not good enough.

Hmm?  I wasn't saying that.  I was merely commenting on Garret's words
that he wasn't particularly fond of it.

My words were meant to say that if the idea and the code is good, it
will get accepted, one way or the other.  If they aren't, they may serve
as education on how not to proceed.
No matter what way you look at it, it will always be beneficial since we
can learn from it.

>We have already used the new kernel extension to design and develop a
>new lightweight Internet reservation protocol, YESSIR, on FBSD. We can
>process up to 10,000 reservations-per-second on a 700MHz Pentium-III
>PC. I have not officially released that code because I have not figured
>out the AltQ/DiffServ interface and have bugs here and there. But that
>will be a nice application eventually, I hope.

I will always be interested in looking at things like this, regardless
of whether it gets integrated into FreeBSD or not.

>BTW, some people have written to me privately on using the new socket
>family for their prototyping projects.

Which is good, but it doesn't give you an advantage over the acceptance.
=)

>Thanks for showing the interest.

No problem, like I said, it will be useful no matter what.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok vd Werven/Asmodai    asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best